skip to main content

The popular Graphic Communication (Graphics) course has been offered at GCSE and A level for over twenty years at Westfield with many pupils benefitting from excellent exam results in a subject that is relevant to the world of work and further university study.  Successful pupils have gone on to work in the fields of animation, film, interior design, product design, fashion design, graphic design and architecture. 

 

In Graphics pupils embark on a journey of discovery that will lead them to explore the diverse and exciting range of techniques and ideas that make up Graphic Design in the twenty-first century. Practical work involving a variety of software including Photoshop and InDesign will work alongside traditional design and make techniques as well as photography and animation.

 

At GCSE the course is divided in to two main parts – Coursework which amounts to 60% of the total marks and an Externally Set Task which accounts for the remaining 40%. The Task, set by the exam board, takes place right at the end of the course and consists of developing preparatory studies and completing designs under controlled conditions. For the most part you will concentrate on building up a strong portfolio of coursework (that is class work and homework). All projects start with a detailed brief and portfolio reviews take place throughout the course to ensure that pupils are working to the highest standards and are reaching their potential. There is an opportunity for work experience in Graphic Design at the end of Year 10. In the past pupils have taken advantage of this to secure apprenticeships and work placements in the future.

 

A level Graphic Communication is a natural progression from GCSE allowing pupils to engage in more in-depth study with a greater amount of time to develop their interests and understanding. The Personal Investigation (Component 1) accounts for 60% of the total marks at A level and this in-depth piece of practical coursework is supported by a written study or extended essay. 40% of the marks at A level are given over to the Externally Set Task – pupils will be asked to select one starting point from a series of briefs given by the exam board, develop ideas over several months then produce a final piece under controlled conditions.

 

Both GCSE and A level courses are innovative, interesting and hugely rewarding.

 

GCSE: Specification AQA

A level: Specification AQA

 

 

The latest from Westfield School

News, Events & Social updates

Kielder adventures

  Adventure Outdoor Education is termed Adventure at Westfield. This is due to School being part of Round Square and Adventure being one of the IDEALS pillars – Internationalism, Democrac...

Read More
Oct 25

Autumn 2021 half term starts

All Events